GIARDINO ITALIA AND GREEN WALLS
Giardino Italia is a project located in the Padua Exhibition Centre promoting Italian biodiversity and giving the site a permanent mark of quality.
Giardino Italia is the green regeneration project of the Fiera di Padova. It promotes Italian biodiversity and permanently redevelops the sites. Carried out in collaboration with some of the leading Italian horticultural companies, production districts and outstanding technology partners, the project is aimed at promoting excellence and biodiversity typical of the Italian horticultural industry by enhancing production quality standards, technological innovations and landscape protection.
Giardino Italia was created in September 2017 and, since then, has been the main focus of sustainability at every event at Fiera di Padova.
Giardino Italia is a green space that represents the Country by displaying a selection of plants which symbolise Italian biodiversity. This is why Flormart uses such a momentous brand to organise activities throughout the year to promote the sector and companies, in collaboration with organisations and associations in the sector.
COMPANIES TAKING PART IN GIARDINO ITALIA
TEMPERATE CLIMATE GARDEN
by Piante Faro
MEDITERRANEAN MAQUIS GARDEN
by Vivai Capitanio
CAMPANIA FELIX GARDEN
by Vivai Imperatore
GARDEN OF SHAPES
by Vivaio Aumenta
ITALIAN TREE GARDEN
by Piante e Fiori d’Italia
by Mati 1909
TUSCAN MAREMMA GARDEN
by Giorgio Tesi Group
VARIETAS ITALIANA GARDEN
VENETO LANDSCAPE GARDEN
by Vivai Ivano Guagno
by Distretto Florov. Alto Lombardo
FRUITS OF EDEN GARDEN
BY 9 NURSERIES FROM SAONARA
Green roofing system
Scarabelli remote automation system
The redevelopment of the exhibition centre grand entrance was completed in 2019 on the occasion of the celebrations for the 100th anniversary of Padova Trade Fair.
The vertical greening initiative enables walls of city buildings to be converted into green spaces, with a large number of benefits to the environment, such as:
- Urban biodiversity enhancement
- O2 production
- Significant CO2 reduction
- Significant reduction of PM10 particles
- Visual pleasing
- Reduced noise pollution
- Summer heat insulation
- Energy saving.
The project has been implemented by Fiera di Padova Immobiliare Spa in collaboration with VS Associati (design) and Verde Verticale by Celebrin (technology and plants).
1:1 VERTICAL FARM
The 1.1 Vertical Farm project developed inside the fairgrounds of Fiera di Padova aims to create a protected and fully automated growth environment in which the cultivation parameters (temperature, humidity, light, fertigation) are regulated to maximize the yield and quality and at the same time minimize the consumption of resources and the risk of disease.
The advantages of the Vertical Farm are:
- GROWING without soil consumption even in urban areas using 1/20 of the amount of water needed in traditional crops. Water will soon become the most precious asset on the planet: the importance of the development of this technology goes exactly in the direction of saving water resources.
- CONTROL the climate in closed areas to avoid the development of plant pathogens (viruses, bacteria, fungi) and consequent use of pesticides.
- COLLABORATE for the protection of the environment by cultivating in the same place of consumption by canceling the cost of transport and the related inputs of pollutants due to the use of fossil fuels. The use of photovoltaic panels on the roof allows the production of electricity from the sun to operate the Vertical Farm without therefore introducing CO2 into the external environment in an off-grid cycle.
- CONSUME fruit and vegetables of which you are sure of the biological cycle and of the substances with which it is grown. The shortness of time between harvesting and consumption (a few minutes) ensures that the vegetable or fruit retain all the nutritional and organoleptic characteristics that characterize them intact.
The 1:1 Vertical Farm is developed within a research project funded by the Veneto Region (POR FSE 2014-2020) coordinated by the IT Department of the University of Verona, for the development of the automatic monitoring and control system in collaboration with:
- Agricontrol snc di Balbo e Secco: control and fertigation system
- Ambra Elettronica srl: LED lighting
- Center for Experimentation and Agricultural Assistance (CeRSAA) of the Riviere di Liguria Chamber of Commerce of Albenga (SV): agronomic consultancy
- Gremizzi Agricultural Company: supply of botanical species
- Orlandelli srl organization: cultivation pallets
- VS Associati srl: project management
“Make food your medicine and medicine your food”
– Hippocrates, 400 BC
The vegetables that grow in the 1:1 Vertical Farm have these characteristics:
ZERO PESTICIDES AND BACTERIA
the vegetables live in a closed and controlled environment
ZERO WASTE OF WATER
1/20 of the water used in traditional crops
ZERO WASTE OF SOIL
hydroponic cultivation in superimposed pallets
each part is compostable
ZERO CO2 EMISSIONS
the energy used is produced in a sustainable way
the harvest is made in the place of consumption
the organoleptic properties remain unaltered